“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Saturday, May 30, 2009

editors who live in glass sports pages shouldn't throw stones


Better late than never, I suppose. But, seriously, who would have less credibility than Jon Mark Beilue, former Sports Editor, to bemoan the fact that athletes get more attention than academics? John Madden, maybe?

Now that Jon Mark has risen past Sports Editor to a new level of incompetence, will he use his influence to start a new section called "Smart Folks" with as many pages as the sports section? I mean, the paper he works for now devotes fully half its space most days to sports.

Stay tuned: the thesis of Jon's next column will be "Texas has lots of fine universities that should get just as much attention as Texas Tech."


spacedark