“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, June 08, 2009

Some interesting observations on the employment front. At many of the networking events I attend, there are so many people going to try and look for employment it would be funny if not so grim. The talent and experience on display is amazing. A lot of them are 15 years or so older than me, and this AM it occurred to me that the boomers are really stunned at how their old philosophical view of employment has imploded. The GenX'ers have lived this economy our adult lives, and the GenY's are thrown in the mix too.

I now feel like we GenX'ers and the boomers have a lot more in common, economy-wise. Many Boomers complain to me that they are being interviewed by 28 year olds (GenY'ers) that will be their boss, asking questions like, "Do you feel you can be coached?" and in the back of their minds thoughts that this kid is sitting there because the company only wants to pay half for what it used to pay an older experienced person pop up.

We had a presenter this morning who talked about "Brand You", about how to reduce your life experience to a 30 second blip, and all the folks in their 50's were scribbling furiously. Afterward the speaker went around the room, and asked for thoughts. I had an epiphany while listening. (From my notes)
_______________________________

"We employees have been branded, co-branded, up-branded, we have been given the "Right To Work", gotten to "Yes", told to swim with the sharks, been downsized, rightsized, best-sized, and generally had our Goddamn cheese moved so many times that it is second nature now to update your resume and hop online 1 month after being hired. An employee's job can now be tied to a 1/4% stock drop . . . or gain . . ."

My "brand" for the last 24 years? "EMPLOYED". Maybe that was too limiting. Probably.

A greater question is . . . how can an economy be considered fully functioning when so much of a person's energy is focused on worry about health insurance, getting pink-slipped for being older, or mgmnt says you are paid too much, or no reason at all via the "right to work" stuff? Why precisely should a person go up to their boss and bust their rear end to show them how they provide value, when in the end the BOSS is playing CYA to save their jobs? And your employers do not have to provide any reason for a cut in bad times? Or good times?"
_____________________________

After this AM I am more determined than ever to push harder to get my small business deal done. Mr Corporation . . . go Cheney yourself. If I have to work a corp job temporarily, I will, but the second I can work for myself . . . well, I don't have to give two weeks do I?

-Prodigal Son