“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, December 24, 2004

O Come Let Us Ignore Him

I just came from the dark heart of American consumerist culture-- the mall on Christmas Eve. There was this dude there screaming at a poor hapless sales clerk as he completed his purchase: "Merry CHRISTMAS!!! I HATE that 'Seasons Greetings' crap." So now we know: the conservative punditocracy now has the power to simply make up the most ludicrous of non-issues and get the mullets and the freepers worked up enough to totally freak out on some minimum-wage retail worker.

And, uh, I've been wondering about this, anyway: what was Bill O'Reilly's beef about not saying the word "Christmas" all about? It was obvious out there today, where the money and the paranoia ran like south Texas floodwaters in mid-summer, that Abercrombie & Gap hasn't celebrated anything about Christ for decades. They celebrate a secular holiday of avarice that is about as far from the Nazarene hippy as you can get. So, Bill, in the spirit of the season, shut up.

And to the rest of you, I'll be blogging very sparadically, so, if I don't talk to you, Merry Whatever.

SPACEDARK