“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I'm a little bit country

In a post about Merle Haggard's disillusion with America and its putative leader, Wally reminds us why country music fits today's Republicans so badly:

Like a lot of old country singers, Haggard grew up sympathizing and empathizing with the working class -- and he can see that they're getting the raw end of the stick from the Republicans. Hope he's able to persuade some of the country music folk to get off the dead-end Bush bandwagon...
I agree, but I have to admit that I've always viewed country musicians and their fans as Kansans with whom something was probably the matter. Like my dad, who recently read me page after page of progressive-sounding ideas he'd sent to Rep. Mac Thorneswabble, but continues to support Bush.

But when you think about it, country musicians were among the first to criticize the Emperor. The Dixie Chicks paid a heavy price for doing so. And then there was TimMcGraw&FaithHill. And Willie Nelson. Rosanne Cash. Bonnie Raitt. And so on.

Makes me feel like going scoot booting or whatever the hell it's called.

spacedark