“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, January 11, 2007

"a newspaper may be forgiven for lack of wisdom but never for lack of courage"

I have to say that yesterday, when page 1A of the local paper was blazoned with the words "Chicken restriction, leash law pass," I was sorely tempted to make some sort of snarky comment along the lines of "You know your town has a serious redneck problem when . . . "

But I resisted.

And, having resisted, you can't seriously expect me to keep quiet about this.

Oh, my, no. There are so many things the Globe-News has gotten wrong, down through the long and twisted years. So many, many apologies have gone unmade, so many retractions unretracted. But now we know that there are journalistic standards that even the Amarillo Globe-News won't ignore, lines in the newsprint that even the corporate Republican apologists at 900 S. Harrison will not cross.

So let the word go forth to a new generation of Fox News wanna-bes:

Blindly support Republicans all you want. Think provincially. Accept the words of Bivinses, Whittenburgs, and Marmadukes without question. Always, always, always take the corporate line.

Just don't get it wrong about the freaking chickens, okay?

spacedark