“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, April 18, 2008

we'll learn ya

There will be a meeting tomorrow at Carpenter's Union Hall, 702 S. Madison, to discuss lessons learned from the recent county conventions and provide an opportunity for input.

I know I have some thoughts, but I salute the Potter-Randall Democratic leadership for making this effort to improve in the future. There are two ways you can look at the chaos of last month, both of which have been expressed:

  1. It was a one-off. Conditions were unique this time around and next time we'll go back to county conventions attended by twenty people. We'll not see these Democratic numbers again in West Texas in our lifetimes.
  2. The Democratic party will continue to grow in this area, and we need to plan for a future that includes increased participation, larger numbers, and-- quite possibly-- the dissent that naturally attends larger numbers in a political party that values individual speech.
Seemingly, the local leadership has chosen to believe the latter. I, for one, am glad.

See you tomorrow.

spacedark