“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, November 19, 2004

Federal Prison Blues

Per Josh Marshall, I just called up Congressman Mac Thornberry's (Texas 13th District) office to see if Big Mac Attack supports the Delay Rule allowing members of the House leadership to keep their leadership posts after they've been indicted for felonies. I was told that the caucus was closed but that Congressman Thornberry doesn't think the court system should decide who gets to be chairman. Something about former Congressman James Traficant and running committees from behind bars was mumbled.

Of course, if I was convicted of a felony, the court might want to decide whether I got to keep my job. Even under indictment, I doubt that I'd be able to go on teaching. But no matter! If you have an opinion of Congressman Thornberry's opinion that felons should be allowed positions in the House leadership, by all means contact him.

SPACEDARK