“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, January 02, 2006

signals from space

From firedoglake:

As a side note, anybody ever get stuck driving through like the West Texas panhandle where Jesus radio is the only thing besides the cattle futures you can get? I always start thinking about what kind of mindset you would have to be in where that shit actually starts to sound good and then I creep myself out. I'm fairly certain the idea for satellite radio was hatched somewhere between Amarillo and Lubbock.
Yup. The S.O. got me a satellite radio for Christmas this year, and terrestrial's now dead to me.

There's a little more variety than what firedoglake expresses, but not much. I mean, I like Jamey Karr as a person, but his station plays the same ten songs over&over&over&yougettheidea. Some people say that satellite doesn't have the local connection, but almost every commercial station other than Jamey's is owned by Wal-Radio. And almost all of their shows are off satellite, anyway. There's NPR, but my satellite unit gets three public radio stations. Which leaves college radio. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes you get a deadly blast of noise followed by a non-FCC-approved word and then thirty minutes of silence.

Yup, satellite radio's become the latest, greatest way to pretend I'm not living in the middle of an unihabitable cloud of dust.

SPACEDARK