“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Saturday, January 14, 2006

somebody's watching me II

Regarding the post below about Sheriff Shumate, I should make clear that I was commenting solely on the irony of his being turned in by neighbors after his Crime Stoppers commercials of old glorified such neighborly behavior. Shumate's not any more guilty before being proven so than anyone else.

The rumors I've heard for years around town, moreover, don't help. Shumate could be guilty, his wife could be crazy, Shumate could be crazy, his wife could be guilty, none of the above, all of the above, or some combination of the above. So I'll let the lawyers and judges (and good luck finding an impartial one) sort it out.

I write this only because I've thought about it for a couple of days and wanted to make clear that I wasn't posting out of schadenfreunde. I don't like Schumate's style: neither his law-enforcement style nor that ridiculous bozo-the-clown hairstyle he insisted on wearing well into the nineties. But I wish him and his wife the best in this difficult time. And I sincerely hope he's exonerated for the crime of domestic abuse.

Because if he didn't do it, my point will be even more germane: spying on citizens, and relying on meddling neighbors is no way to run a criminal-justice system.

SPACEDARK