“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, September 01, 2005

What Goes Around Comes Around

Well, the emails were flying around the office today. Rumor has it Gregg Mitchell, owner of the Toot 'n Totum convenience store chain, quipped to a local radio host "The only people complaining are the ones who don't work hard enough to be successful" when he was asked about rising gas prices. I don't know if Mitchell actually made those remarks, but those of us who frequently argue for universal healthcare or criticize corporate hegemony have heard plenty of similar comments from conservative friends and acquaintances. If it is true I find a fair amount of dark humor in it. What goes around comes around and the middle class is going to start feeling the pinch.

I guess that's what happens when you put a bunch of oil whores in charge of the country. You voted for it Amarillo. Enjoy.