“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, February 11, 2013

Don't Worry. They're Looking Out for You!

One more rant (maybe) about how our congresscritters are looking out for us regler folks. Worried about your job and your income? Well, there are 250 millionaires in congress (about 67% of congress), and their total wealth increase since 2009 is 11%! How about yours? I don't think they are worried about their income - probably worried about their job/re-election, but they work on that several hours a day calling donors - not doing the people's work!

They probably didn't get rich from their paltry yearly salary of $174,000 (speaker boner has to struggle by on $223,000), plus perks like retirement and health benefits, travel allowance, office expenses ranging from $121,000 to $454,000, plus more. And many of them didn't become wealthy until after they were in congress!

Somehow I don't believe the thing uppermost in their minds is helping the unemployed and underemployed - they want to make sure they don't offend any of their donors that help keep them in office, and they are not getting too many donations from the jobless or minimum wage workers anyway!

The only answer I have is for enough folks to get fed up and start calling, writing and e-mailing their congressfolk constantly, but sadly I can't see that happening, but I keep the faith - I'm the eternal optimist.

The Liberalator