“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, May 20, 2004

Urban Legends in Rural West Texas

Since this is the Panhandle Truth Squad, perhaps we should take a moment to remember that there's a whole Top o' Texas filled with Republipundits. And every Republipundit in west Texas has a snipe-catchin' gunny sack full of wild inaccuracies and deeply immoral argumentation.

Take Debbie Daniel, for example.

Ms. Daniel's actually from downstate ("San Marcus," according to the newspaper in which I have the misfortune to encounter her weekly column), so I'm still internally debating whether I should abuse her in a blog called the Panhandle Truth Squad. I'm inclined to think that I won't be able to resist, but for now I'll content myself with abusing the newspaper in which she is printed up here, the illustrious Moore County News-Press, out of Dumas, Texas.

The same Moore County News-Press which today printed (in the print edition only) a column attributed to the famed comedian Robin Williams purportedly offering a foreign policy plan for the United States. Wow! Robin Williams wrote a column for the Moore County News-Press! Except it sounds more like Charlie Daniels' xenophobia. But no matter! Robin Williams wrote a column for the Moore County News-Press!

Only he didn't. It was actually an e-mail received by an employee of the paper and reprinted. An email that has been thoroughly debunked by snopes.com.

Panhandle editors: familiarize yourself with snopes.com Urban Legends Reference Pages! Now! It's fun and easy-- and they do your job for you.

SPACEDARK