“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, July 14, 2005

...And The Hits Just Keep On Rolling

I'm not gloating.

No, really, I'm not. As much as it does my heart good to see the corrupt and the hypocritical brought low as a result of their own misdeeds, when their corruption and hypocrisy impacts my government, I suffer too. The only real benefit to me in having them revealed is in making it harder and less rewarding for others to follow in their footsteps.

So, when the press finally grows some cojones and realizes that the mighty Karl Rove has, to use his own words, "f***ed them", as much as anything, I'm sad. When the public belatedly recognizes that they can't trust the president, I feel embarrassed. When a California Congressman has to high-tail it out of office just ahead of the prosecutor, I grieve. When "pay to play" becomes the highest law all around the country (click here, here, and here), you and I are cut out of the process.

You see, while it is my money that goes to the government, it is also my government. You know, "...of, by and for the people?" Doesn't that sound vaguely familiar? And the truth is, I don't want my money back. I want my government back.

DEMOPHOENIX