“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

shooting fish in a barrel with a fully automatic submachine gun

Recently, the Amarillo Globe-Republican reprinted this piece by William Rusher claiming that "evolutionists" are "terrified" of Intelligent Design mythology. I could point out Rusher's "silly" oversimplication of contemporary cosmology. Or I could impugn Rusher himself by mentioning that he was a founding member of the now-infamous Concerned Alumni of Princeton who recently said the following (in a sympathetic interview by his own magazine):

Lopez: Was [CAP] racist and or sexist? Anti-gay? Ted Kennedy read a pretty bad-sounding quote from its publication today.

Rusher: CAP was none of the things Senator Kennedy is smearing it as being: anti-black, etc. . . My only regret is that CAP didn't have a bigger effect on Princeton. . . I will always remember fondly the Princeton I knew, and regret what has happened to it.
Or I could get really personal and point out that the photo usually attached to Rusher's columns does the time warp again. In this century, Rusher actually looks more like this. But at least the half-century old photo graphically shows us exactly what the Concerned Alumni want Princeton students to look like.

Or I could ignore Rusher completely, and simply say that another AP article reprinted by the AG-R documents which group is actually confrontational, negative, argumentative, and terrified.

SPACEDARK

Note:
Freepers have pointed out that one of the quotes cited by Kennedy ("In Defense of Elitism") was meant as satire. I'm not sure how that makes it better, since satire by definition seeks change, and it's obvious what change CAP seeks. Nevertheless, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one; that only leaves them about a dozen CAP quotes to "debunk."