“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

they eat their own

I gotta say, if Swinford was behind the ruling that Anette Carlisle is ineligible to run against him, I totally understand. She's a serious threat to the dude.

More importantly, I totally get why the state Republican party doesn't want her to run. I don't think she's a real Republican.

For one thing, she supports public education. Spacedark, Jr. attended Bivins with one of her sons. She was quite dedicated to the PTA.

And the S.O. and I had a conversation with her at the Amarillo Little Theatre's production of Tommy right before she declared her candidacy. She complained about "those Republicans" down in Austin.

We also saw her at the movies Saturday night.

She has a Masters degree in zoology and named one of her sons "Darwin". We're not saying that means anything, but-- if she really wanted to be a Republican she'd change his name to Pat Robertson Dobson Phelps Carlisle.

I've listened to Anette in PTA meetings and other contexts. I respect her. I wish she had run as a Democrat.

But no Democrat will win this race this time. D's are only on Panhandle ballots to give the happy illusion of democracy. I'm hoping that Anette will win her court battle in time to run in the primary against Swinford.

The best Panhandlians can hope for is a Republican with a grudge against the Texas Republican Party.

SPACEDARK