“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, June 12, 2006

Get outcher' cube and JAM

Men at Work's "It's a Mistake" seems. . . more apropo now than it did in 1984.

I remember seeing this video for the first time during one of MTV's 'Video Premieres'! They played new videos at noon and midnight. Anyone remember when MTV was not on for 24 hrs/day because they did not have enough vids in the beginning? LOL.

Anyhoo . . . I rushed in after mowing the lawn one summer Saturday for a guy up the street ($10 American baby!) to see it. Men at Work was a fav band, the music was catchy, the sax solos were cool, and their videos were pythonesque silly. The song 'Down Under' was a big hit in 1982, but after buying the cassette tape, and reading the lyrics, I still wondered what the hell a vegemite sandwich was. Now, I can just google it.

I wore that tape out until it warped (Or sounded like a degraded MP3 file for you kids out there. LOL)

Next Monday, the "Second British Invasion".

-Prodigal Son (BTW, HERE is MTV's first bumper with the astronaut for a real flashback!!)