“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, October 11, 2007

signs of the times: georgia street car washes should publicly apologize for poor taste

The mannequin needs to come down now! Have you seen this poor figure, apparently thrashing around in horrible pain?

I have. And I snapped this picture of the fellow as I drove down Georgia street. I was shocked enough to simultaneously call the police department - on its 9-1-1 emergency line - to report what I believed was a victim of unspeakable acts of torture.

The picture shows what appears to be a very tall man, lurching around in agony, his feet apparently bound together, and to the ground.

What's particularly offensive about this mannequin is the manner in which it "thrashes" as it is powered by air cylinders. To the casual observer, it apparently looks real enough for them to call 9-1-1. Further down the street I also observed a giant duck, similarly bound, but this time so securely that the poor beast was unable to move at all. I called PETA to report the duck's agony.

The Amarillo Police Department is duty bound to respond to emergency 9-1-1 calls. But surely PETA has better things to do.

spacedark