“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Voices of Amarillo: Bubba


(Bill Clements Unit, Amarillo, Texas) So I run into a little trouble back in the mid-90s. I done what they call a "criminal lifestyle".

An' you know what? My own neighbors done turned me in. And then this cop guy with Bozo-the-Clown hair parachuted out of the sky and called me a "maggot" before slapping th' cuffs on me.

I knew I done wrong. But his constant usage of homoerotic imagery during my interrogation was quite disturbing.

I mean, he kep' talkin 'bout what perversions I was gonna do to all the other inmates. I didnt wanna do no perversions. But he just keep talkin 'bout them. An' thass when he give me my new name, Bubba.

Afore that, I wuz jest called by muh birth name, Thaddeus Octavius Cato III.

I allus wondered what happen to that cop. Weel, today I sawr him agin:



He ain't got the Bozo hair no more nor the parachute, but it shore is him.

You know, a lot of inmates find Jesus in here. I hain't. But I sure am lookin forward to seein Mr Officer Shumate agin.

Bubba