“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, May 11, 2009

Clusterf*&!@ to the Poorhouse: Stardate: 2321.4


It's Gods-damn awful out there. You know already.

It has been almost three months, and no new job. A couple of interviews that I candidly had to pry out of my network and some past favors called in. The two CEO's I have talked to have said that there is more shitty stuff yet to come in financial services land. Over 250 resumes sent out, 2 headhunters who have come up nada. 4 phone interviews.

I have heard from a lot of sources that there are a ton of folks at my level being shitcanned. The unofficial reason? You can get a newbie to (attempt) to replicate my results for 60 cents on the dollar for what I was paid. Maybe. There are a lot of us 40 year old's with families booted. Cheaper all around to hire singles, with 2 years work experience. Rush the old farts out before their stock options and 401k's are fully vested!

WOO! Capitalism!

The option to purchase a local firm is still there, but the state I live in requires partial ownership by a CPA, and the financing paperwork has been a nightmare, thanks to the SBA, who changes their requirements daily. It could still happen, but the chances have moved to probably 40% now.

Things have gotten terribly tight. Hard choices. Even harder choices coming up in June. The stress is terrible. Thank goodness everyone is healthy, or it could be even worse.

But I have sucked in my pride, and gone back to waiting tables. Being managed by a 23 year old who is focused on the previous nights drinking and skirt chasing. Tips are only a little relief. Yesterday I worked 10 hours and made $52. At a high-end steak joint, no less. This country is broke. But I had a few extra bucks for flowers and chocolate for Mrs. Prodigal on mother's day, and that was good.

Two things pressed me last night on the drive home, thankful to still have a home (for now), and a great wifey and kiddos . . .

1. Why the f*#$ is the press cheering the fact that ONLY 500k jobs were lost in April?

2. More importantly and personally . . . when will a potential employer during an interview say, "If you are so great, why haven't you found a job yet?" at which point I become damaged goods re: employment.

-Prodigal Son