“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

shh, don't tell anyone there's a democrat in the race

Now that Kinky and Carole Keeton R'ander Strayhorn MacInerney Shaw are in the governor's race, it's literally anyone's game. I travelled to El Paso for a teacher's meeting this weekend and spoke to a colleague who is sympathetic to The Cause about the governor's race. Well, actually we were talking about that Kinky Freidman song about El Paso, and my colleague opinied that he would probably vote for Kinky. Grandma was, I guess, a tad too tough and Rick Perry was too, well, Rick Perry. And, he said, there wasn't a Democrat in the race.

Well, there is Chris Bell, I told him.

Who?, he asked. Now this is a person who is more politically informed than me. But somehow Bell's candidacy had just sorta slipped by him.

I can see how. If I hadn't spoken with Bell on the phone I might doubt his very existence. No press. No ads. Nothing.

At least not up here in the Panhandle. And, I really wouldn't think that Bell, who used to live up here, was the type to just blow us off.

Looking at the campaign's web site, I see some appearances in front of sympathetic crowds. Is this the strategy? Remind Democrats to stick with the party, while lying low in the general population and hoping that Grandmaw, Goodhair and the Kinkster rip each other to shreds?

To be honest, I'm not sure it's a bad idea . . .

Yo, Mr. Bell. Shoot me an e, and lemme know what the strategy is. I promise I won't tell anyone about you.

spacedark