“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What a Gas!

I just got home from the Amarillo City Commission meeting in Southeast Amarillo. I was just going to show up for a little while and leave early, but it was so facinating and entertaining I stayed for the whole thing.

It was wonderful to see our every day working folks present to the Southwest Amarillo elite information, pictures, and colorful descriptions of our city that they don't have a clue about. One fellow had a slide show of slum areas, falling down apartment buildings, unpaved roads, trash strewn streets and lots. Another lady told about the chickens in her neighborhood that created such noise and odor they couldn't enjoy the outdoors at their house. She also told of how attractive fences being built of sheet metal, old garage doors and scrap wood made her neighborhood. Another talked about abandoned mobile homes that are a danger to children in the neighborhood.

I don't know how much the commission was paying attention to what was not being said, but I have to give it to them, they were polite and friendly. Maybe if they hear this enough it will wake them up to the Amarillo they don't know, and maybe will work to change.

When the commission is meeting in your area of Amarillo, if you have the least bit of liberal blood and compassion in you, GO! And while I'm at it, if you haven't signed a petition for establishing Single Member Districts, find one and sign on. It will make all the difference in the world!

The Liberalator