“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, July 06, 2007

I'm sure I'll get plenty of mediocre cheese enchiladas with red sauce when they send me to a black prison in kabul

Where are we going to eat today? It's one of the eternal questions, and one that never quite gets answered satisfactorily. Amarillo, they tell us has one of the highest per capita rates of restaurants around. But we never seem to be able to find a good place to eat. By "good" I mean "not part of the hypercapitalized, homogenized global empire."

There are actually a number of good, locally-run restaurants in Amarillo. Last night, the Significant Other and I had dinner at Bijan's Persian restaurant at 34th and Georgia. The place is run by an Iranian refugee and his family, and they actually act genuinely appreciative that you've come in. The dinner menu isn't extensive, but it's good, and apparently they also have a lunch buffet.

Look: I'd recommend this place even if it sucked. We've lost Greek restaurants, Indian restaurants, and Vietnamese restaurants in this town due to the inability of the zombified Panhandlians to try anything even slightly different. And how many freaking Tex-Mex restaurants do we need? Frankly, I'm sick of Tex-Mex.

There: I said it. Just do something different for a change, and support variety in Amarillo cuisine, okay?

Or, if you have no humanity left in your shrunken, commoditized soul, you can go ahead and eat at Applebee's again.

spacedark