“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, December 21, 2007

Another person from Amarillo, not an asshole, that I may have met but don't recall and would like to meet.


Hal Don House -- Hal seems like a sensible guy to me. Hal's column about the insensible laws that impose harsh penalties on those who suffer the illness of addiction makes good sense to me. This coming from a man who spent years working in the law enforcement and treatment field, so his word carries some weight.
Not surprisingly right wing judge James Farren chimes in with his notion that the war on drugs has been a great success. Guess he's worried his job might disappear if the laws against drug users change.
The "War on Drugs", proposed by Reagan, but carried on by every president since, including Clinton, has been an utter failure. In fact since Bush Jr. brought back mass poverty to the third world sectors of our cities we now have a drug problem more acute than ever. Read about how half a trillion dollars thrown at the problem did little or nothing to stem the tide of drugs into our society.
I will say that House may have some things to say I don't necessarily like, as he did in his letter that suggests the Ku Klux Klan be allowed to speak in Amarillo. I don't really disagree with House's letter, but I think a more proactive approach is best in the case of hate groups. I suppose the Ku Klux Klan does deserve their opinion, as long as I get to go to their public assholefests with the biggest loudest bullhorn I can find.