“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

freedom's just another word

I was not born in Texas, and, God willing, I will not die here. But tonight I have to say that I am ashamed to have ever lived here.

I mean that in a couple of different ways. Some PTSers know that I recently became engaged to a beautiful woman. Because of the specific combinations of bodily organs involved, my marriage will presumably be allowed by the state of Texas. While many of my friends will remain unable to ever marry their soul mates.

I have to say, I'm suffering from a little survivor's guilt here. I'm ashamed to be allowed to go on living my life while friends are denied that right.

Why? Why, in this proudly huge state, under this massive sky, in these ginormous sprawling cities, on those endless roads, why does it matter whom people love? Why?

SPACEDARK