“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

yesterday / all our troubles seemed so far away

Via Demophoenix, this tidbit from a Center for American Progress summary of the Cunningham affair:

One would think the resignation of a powerful member of Congress who serves on the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee and the House Intelligence Committee would be big news, but not according to the producers at Fox News and MSNBC. According to analysis from Media Matters, Fox News devoted only three minutes to the story yesterday, MSNBC spent only four minutes on it, while CNN covered the resignation for seventeen minutes.
Y'know, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was an incident referred to as ABSCAM. I don't remember much about it because I was just a kid at the time, far more concerned (obviously) with Star Wars than with FBI agents disguised as sheiks.

But that's kind of the point. I don't remember much, but I remember something. So ABSCAM must have been all over the news to have made an impression on a disinterested 12-year-old.

SPACEDARK