“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, November 06, 2006

Breakfast With Bell, Part II



Chris Bell kicked off his statewide swing this morning at the Big Texan. I'd guess around 50 people showed up at 7:30am to hear him speak. He seemed to drift back and forth between well-rehearsed political stumping and a more casual style. It seemed to me he knew he was among friends this morning and we were there to thank him and wish him well on his trip around the state. Bell has been to Amarillo a number of times over the past year and half or so, and this was the third time I had the opportunity not only to hear him speak, but to shake his hand and look him in the eye. I feel honored for having had the opportunity to do so. He is a candidate we can all be proud of.

The event ended in what I found to be something of a surreal moment. Fellow PTS'er Iman was in attendance as well, and as we stood by our cars shooting the breeze Bell came outside and walked over to the Big Cow that stands guard at the front of the Big Texan. Most everyone else had left at that point, which was too bad, because if they had stayed they would have seen him stand there and smile for the camera, a light-hearted moment to be captured on film. I'm sure there's a metaphor in that moment, the man who would be governor grabbing the reigns of that over-sized, unyielding animal. I'll be glad to see him take the reigns of Texas.

Vote for Chris Bell!