“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, July 15, 2005

Republicans Talk About Karl Rove

A couple days ago, I received one of the many petitions that clog my in-box. This one asked me to sign on to tell President Bush to fire Karl Rove. I signed. There was room for me to add my own comment, and I pondered for a long time what I actually wanted some White House flunkie to read, and ultimately decided that there was nothing to add. It would be a waste of good pixels.

Today, I received another message. This one told me that others were finding words to put in that blank, and I realized that it was a matter of point of view. You see, these letters were all from Republicans. I have reprinted a few of these below.

Make no mistake. This is the tip of the iceberg. But most such people will continue to think themselves Republican, and consider the administration to be the exceptions. Our opportunity here, if we behave ourselves correctly, is to provide new reasons for at least some to rethink their allegiance. They do, in fact, want to vote in favor of something, not just against. The challenge is that we still don't have the kind of megaphone the Republicans do, so we can anticipate difficulty getting our message across. But we must speak up, and tell those who can hear what we would do.

"I switched to Republican over 30 years ago, but now feel increasingly betrayed by and ashamed of the power-crazy dishonesty and the distorted values of the current leadership of the GOP. Tom DeLay does not speak or stand for most American Republicans. Neither does Karl Rove, who should be fired and severely punished if indications are correct. Can we trust you, Mr. President? Please give us the real, open truth." Jeb E., Palo Alto, CA

"I was a good Republican for all my life, but can no longer stomach the people that excuse the behavior of those who squelch any and all who question and think for themselves. Please stand up and do what is right." Lana H., Fort Worth. TX

"Truth is an awesome thing. As an American whose husband and son have served in our military I wonder if you could possibly condone a leak of information which jeopardizes our national security. I would like to see the Republican Party speak honestly as they used to speak when I was a registered Republican. We seem to be emulating the Nixon era ... I can no longer support the Republican party." MaryKay D., Columbus, OH

"As a Republican ... I have to insist that the president and my party affiliates in Washington tend to the accountability of Karl Rove or face yourselves the possibility of being called part of a cover-up conspiracy. You are ELECTED officials entrusted to the security of all Americans. For God's sake get responsible." Marilynne R., Glendale, AZ

"I have been a Republican almost from birth. No more, no more!!! This latest group of Republicans have disgraced the memory of all noble Republicans that preceded them. I am a city trustee in Illinois and speak loudly and regularly at counsel meetings regarding the Bush ethics and to date have thoroughly convinced several other members to take a closer and more focused look at the way the Bush administration has controlled the rhetoric regarding most issues." Dave B., Mount Olive, IL


DEMOPHOENIX