“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

double, double toil and trouble

Prodigal Son e-mailed to ask if I wanted to post on this morning's AG-R Ghost editorial that defended the Emperor W's plans to spend five weeks on vacation in Crawford.

There's fish in them there barrels! I suppose Prodigal wants me to call attention to the fact that the Emperor has spent more time on vacation than any head of state did back when our country still had presidents. With this vacation he will shatter Reagan's record of 335 days spent on vacation during his eight years in office. And Bush still has 3 1/2 years (or three more five-week August vacations) left!

Or maybe he wants me to remind readers that we just passed the fourth anniversary of the infamous "Bin Laden determined to attack in U.S." memo received while-- yes-- W was on vacation. Giving the lie to the Ghost's contention that the Emperor is still working.

But school's about to start, and I have to get back in English teacher mode. So, a grammar assignment: Diagram or explain the following ghost-written sentence from this morning's editorial. It's more than a double negative, obviously, but what exactly is it?

No president is never not the president.
What on Earth does it mean?

Hey, Ghost: I got an English class for ya right here.

SPACEDARK