“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunday Morning Tomato Blogging


HEY! Get the hell out of my garden!

This morning I have a question, completely unrelated to the photo above, for dear old Dave Henry. From your 7/20 "kick in the pants":

TO CABLE TELEVISION: The Globe-News has received a few letters to the editor bemoaning the demise of The Golf Channel in Amarillo. Here's what should get people teed off - the communistic nature of cable TV. Consumers should pay only for the channels they want and not be forced to subsidize 60 some-odd channels just to get the five or six they watch on a regular basis. Let the free market pull the plug on channels nobody wants.
So what is the Dave Henry conservative going to do about it, other than gripe? What would conservative activism look like? That isn't a snide, rhetorical question. I'd actually like to know. If I were to put a plan together it would go something like this:

1. Define the goal, which would be paying only for the channels we want.
2. Define what I'm willing to do to achieve that goal. I'm willing to dump my cable service.
3. Set a reasonable timeline for the cable company to comply or get dumped.
4. Circulate petitions to gather signatures of like-minded people who are also willing to dump cable service. They can't just trade out for satellite, either. The satellite providers will just be sitting around rubbing the hands together in anticipation of giving the same crappy deal to new customers.
5. If enough people are involved, and they cable companies don't comply, then have hundreds or maybe even thousands of people show up at a designated time to cancel their service.

Of course, I'm a liberal and if I put something like that together I'd be accused of being everything from a communist to an economic terrorist.

So, What Would Dave Henry Do?