“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, August 11, 2006

Hit the Hot Button Now!

I would love to have a political talk show where I had control of a little button that allowed me to shut off my guest's mic when he/she launched into answers that had no relation to the question I had asked. That would be sweet. Maybe it could be called "Hot Button" or something like that.

Anyone ever heard that piece of politician's schoolery that reads something like...
Never answer the question you're asked, but rather answer the question you wished you were asked?

I'm not sure who said it first, but I got it from "The Fog of War" where former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara, a guy reviled during his time, much like Rummy is today, comes up with eleven lessons that are absolutely as pertinent today as they were during his time. Funny how Rummy and Bush managed to ignore almost every one of McNamara's lessons.

Anyway, getting back to the statement about answering the question you want, instead of the question you're asked. If we could only give politicians some of what Jim Carrey got in Liar Liar, then we might be able to clear away some of this haze. Imagine what sort of statements would be coming out of the mouths of guys like Tom Delay or Karl Rove. I wonder what they might say...