“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

line in sand

So I’ve spent a good part of this week composing my letters to the teachers’ unions, explaining why I will not be joining them this year. In the past, I’ve been a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, joining every teachers’ union that was available to me.

But this year the teacher’s unions decided to endorse Carole Nelson Trafalger Hornblatt, and so I’ve decided not to support the teacher’s unions. As Real-Democrat Chris Bell has pointed out, Carole Whassup Vincent Bojangles has received megabucks support in the past from school-voucher guru James Leininger but now claims to be against school vouchers.

So is she or innit she?

Make no mistake about it. This is a deal-killer. People who support public schools do not support vouchers. Period.

But the teachers’ union bureaucracy has adopted a let-them-eat-cake philosophy:

TSTA spokesman Richard Kouri said the group's leaders believed Strayhorn, but added, "Time will tell."
Time will fricking tell??? That’s not good enough for me.

Carole Whatever wants to be a Republican to partisan Republicans. She wants to be a Democrat to partisan Democrats, and she wants to be Grandma to everyone else. She won’t fool me. My grandma lives in Nebraska and would have run as a Democrat.

She is trying to fool us all. Her campaign hinges on the hope that a number of Texans will believe that Carole Deadbody Feralcat Posthole’s latest stand—the one they heard on the news and sorta kinda agree with—is her real stand.

Which is always risky.

As the Texas Comptroller, Carole Whatever knows something about the Texas Lottery. And, in 2006, voting for her is like buying a lottery ticket. As most Texans have figured out by now, one in a bazillion lottery tickets wins the jackpot. A handful of scratchers break even. But the vast majority of lottery tickets wind up torn in half and discarded in the parking lot of the local Toot-n-Totum.

You wanna risk your gubernatorial vote meeting the same fate?

spacedark