“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, January 10, 2005

my own barbaric yawp

There has been a lot of increasingly overheated back-and-forth about some things that have been said in the liberal blogosphere about leaving the Democratic Party. Comments range from Mike Malloy’s “I am no longer a Democrat” to kos’s “Democratic Partisanship.”

Here’s what I said several posts ago:

“I’m not even sure I’ll stay in the Democratic Party. Atrios recently had a good bit about core principles. Add me to the growing number who’ll bolt if the Dems abandon those principles.”

Here’s what a Prominent Local Democrat had to say:
“What we need to understand is that while we may each have ideas we believe in that will not soon become public policy, we can still work together to make sure that our common vision is implemented . . . it is not hard to see that nearly any Democrat is preferable to nearly any Republican for almost any office. Now is not the time to be deluding ourselves with the false promise of another party. Now is the time to be even more unified and disciplined and effective.”

…and…
“[Congressional Democrats] are not agreeing that torture and indefinite detention are OK. They are recognizing the regrettable reality that the Republicans have the votes because they won the election and that if Gonzalez went down, Bush would only replace him with someone even worse. Of course, the Republicans didn't win by much, to be sure, and there are going to be opportunities for the Democrats to stop some of the worst of Bush's agenda, if we stick by them.”

I think that gives you the essence of Prominent Local Democrat’s argument. Here’s the problem: