“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, January 31, 2005

Thornberry's Answer

Back on December 17th I called the congressman's office and spoke with Nora Shirley, asking her how Mac voted on the DeLay Rule (see my post on 12/18/2004). Ms. Shirley stated his staff did not know how he voted, but the congressman would write me personally. Well, I got the letter today (about a month and a half later!) My question was "How did Congressman Thornberry vote on the DeLay Rule?" Here is his answer, verbatum:

"Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on recent decisions made by the House Republican Conference concerning Conference and House Rules. I appreciate hearing from you.

As the 109th Congress begins its first year, we have plenty of challenges ahead of us. Many issues important to the nation are being debated including the future of Social Security, the transformation of our military, the reform of our immigratin poliocy, and efforts to further lower the tax burden imposed on hard-working Americans. It would be tragic if the energy that should be devoted to those objectives was instead lost to a resumption of the ethics wars that plagued Congress in the previous decade.

I believe the rules changes that the House Republican Conference has approved in recent weeks will help to protect the House from such pitfalls. At the same time, I do not believe that any of the changes prevent us from assuring stern discipline for any Member who fails to meet the standards of conduct that the American people have a right to expect from those of us who serve in Congress.

Sincerely,
Mac Thornberry
Member of Congress"

What was his answer to my question as to how he voted? It certainly appears that he isn't proud of his vote - these guys won't admit to anything - they're unaccountable!

The Liberalator