“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Thursday, June 05, 2008

desert wind

I27 south of Amarillo is the flattest, deadest stretch of highway in the flattest, deadest landscape in Texas. Out of this blasted moonscape, our bus carries a load of Democrats to more hospitable climes. As we pass into Tulia, I remember that I have a copy of Nate Blakeslee's book in my messenger bag. It is a totem - like the candidate signs, the buttons, and the t-shirts, a reminder of the type of corruption that we hope to begin to defeat.

I havn't smoked in years, but, outside the bus, when Leslie hands me a Clove, I struggle against the gale to light the thing. We're standing in a huddle with blue Hillary shirts. A clove cigarette, a vote for Obama: nothing ever goes quite as planned for anyone, but that doesn't mean we can't all find a way to win.

Spacedark