“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Sunday, June 15, 2008

yes, I "competed" in a freaking "race" yesterday

Apparently, since there weren't too many in my age group in the one-mile run of the Dean Kelley Jr. Memorial Run, my name is in the paper. You can tell by my time that my leisurely walk around Austin park was not an attempt to actually win anything. But relatives (who apparently scan every line of the Amarillo Globe-Republican) have been calling.

My son (above) actually did compete, which is why I was involved in such a thing at all. He did much better than me, beating everyone his age as well as a few older kids. But since his age group is more varied (13-18; he is 14) and far more competed in his event than in mine, his name is not in the paper.

We should keep that in mind as the political season continues: sometimes people who do nothing but freaking show up get the glory, while people who toil day after day after day get ignored. That's life, innit?


spacedark