“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

hey, teacher, don't you fill me up with your rules

There’s a perfect storm a-brewing between the editorial page of the Amarillo Globe-News and the Panhandle Truth Squad. Because of TAKS and other reasons, AGN commentators got solvin’ edumacation on their collective mind. And in my classroom, at 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday, the TAKS is over with for the year, and I have a roomful of freshmen who have finished taking their test and are just sittin’ here with nothin’ to do. (Memo to wingnut teacher-critics: Oh! This is what babysitting a classroom of kids feels like . . . hmmm, nope that’s not what my job is usually like.)

So, here we are at the nexus of Opinion page full of education solutions and teacher with a rare couple of hours of free time. Let’s party.