“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Friday, February 04, 2005

teach the children well

I didn't watch the SOTU. Or listen: it would have been pointless. The dimestore cowboy's pretend Texas twang has degenerated so badly that I can no longer understand it. So I read through the transcript, and this is what I found:

I welcome the bipartisan enthusiasm for spending discipline. I will send you a budget that holds the growth of discretionary spending below inflation, makes tax relief permanent, and stays on track to cut the deficit in half by 2009. My budget substantially reduces or eliminates more than 150 government programs that are not getting results, or duplicate current efforts, or do not fulfill essential priorities. The principle here is clear: a taxpayer dollar must be spent wisely, or not at all.
You would be forgiven for jumping to all sorts of conclusions about government programs that aren't working. But this is what he's talking about.

On January 23, we issued a Panhandle Truth Squad action alert advising that the Dimestore Cowboy's administration was plotting to eliminate several education social programs that comprise the "road to the middle class" for many first generation and low-income college students. These programs do work; many successful people have been helped by them. Bush, as always, is relying on urban mythology and simply lying to advance his ultimate agenda of creating a two-class system in the United States. Please contact your representatives-- especially Kay Bailey Hutchison, who sits on the Appropriations Committee-- in support of TRiO programs.

SPACEDARK