“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Sunday, June 27, 2004

A Ten-Year-Old Could Do A Better Job

Since even my ten-year-old son notices errors and biases in the Amarillo Globe-News, I plan to occasionally publish his observations on this blog. As a young artist, he is particularly annoyed by the syndicated political cartoons the editorial staff chooses to run. In particular the AGN staff seem enamored with the cartoons of Chuck Asay who operates out of Colorado Springs. We've actually seen the editors run two Asay cartoons in one day! (So much for diversity of opinions.)

Today's Asay cartoon was titled "Another Difference Between Republicans and Democrats". The premise is that, if a Republican politician "does something wrong," other Republicans will abandon her or him until he is forced to resign. But, according to Asay, Democrats will defend one of their own who sins or errs, even making him or her rich through book sales.

Clearly this premise is ludicrous, a fact that will be plainly evident when the entire Bush administration is on trial in The Hague for war crimes and Chuck Asay is still defending them.

Asay's cartoons are primitively drawn, his worldview simplistic, his writing amateurish. Maybe I'm exposing my own biases, but I think my ten-year-old son draws better cartoons.

SPACEDARK