“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Saturday, September 20, 2008

It doesn't count now...

Pic: New York


Since everyone now knows that Sarah Palin is the first major party vice-presidential nominee since Spiro Agnew1 to have never met a foreign leader, the McCain campaign has set her up on a blind date with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

Seriously, this like rifling through the deck to find the card that would've given you a royal flush-- after you just lost all your chips.

That, after this:

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Governor Palin, there has been quite a bit of discussion about your perceived lack of foreign policy experience. And I want to give you your chance. If you could please respond to that criticism and give us specific skills that you think you have to bring to the White House to rebut that or mitigate that concern.


PALIN: Well, I think because I’m a Washington outsider that opponents are going to be looking for a whole lot of things that they can criticize and they can kind of try to beat the candidates here, who chose me as his partner, to kind of tear down the ticket. But as for foreign policy, you know, I think that I am prepared and I know that on January 20th, if we are so blessed as to be sworn into office as your president and vice president, certainly we’ll be ready. I’ll be ready. I have that confidence. I have that readiness.

And if you want specifics with specific policy or countries, go ahead and you can ask me. You can even play stump the candidate if you want to. But we are ready to serve.
Y'know, I once had a student-- a senior-- who went into the final week of school with something like a 14 average in my class, which he needed to graduate. Nor was my class the only one in which he found himself in this situation. He continued to insist, however, that he was somehow going to graduate right up to the bitter end, even showed up to take his semester test.

His blind, unwarranted confidence wasn't heartwarming; it wasn't inspirational.

It was exasperating as all hell.

spacedark

1 And we all know how well that worked out.