“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Monday, May 12, 2008

Sweet Home Obama

What do you guys want from Democrats? Billy Carter?


I won't deny that I'm concerned about November. With Obama now in a position to be called the "presumptive nominee," I worry about hardcore Clinton supporters with hurt feelings who won't come around in November. WaitaminutebeforeyoureactIwouldhaveworried
aboutthesamethingfromhardcoreObamasupportershadClintonwon.1

And, of course, there is the perennial (or quadrennial) fear of swiftboating.

But on the efficacy of the latter2, perhaps there is cause for hope, even in West Texas.

This weekend, my brother-in-law, who wears cowboys boots, a cowboy hat, owns and rides a horse, and is the working owner of a construction company, announced that he had just sent $100 to the Obama campaign.

He subscribes to at least one of the newsweeklies, so he must know that he's been told that people like him don't support Obama.

But, surely, the newsweeklies and other major media also understand by now that they know even less about "Bubba" than Obama and his campaign. Scratch that-- if they knew that, they wouldn't write these articles. But their condescending assumptions are unlikely to reflect reality. Bubba being Bubba, they may even cause a rebellious redneck groundswell in favor of Obama.

spacedark

1Had to get that out really fast.

2I'll try to get this thesis lingo outta my system. But not today.