“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A movement in four part harmony

I just go back from the Arlo Guthrie Family Jamboree (I think it was a jamboree). What a great show. Luckily I was able to convince my parents to go with me, I would have skipped it otherwise.

A Lot of refrains that don't mean a thing

The show started off with covers of Woody Guthrie songs, with more sprinkled throughout the performace. Simple, straight forward songs that celebrate the "common man". No cynicism, lots of humor and lyrics that speak directly to you. I could have sat for the whole show listening to Arlo tell stories about his dad and sing his songs. One song 1913 Massacre just about had my mom in tears. Another song had lyrics by Woody and music by Wilco (evidently from Mermaid Avenue) . The last Woody song was My Peace. The music and words reminded me of the old time hymns I sang growing up. IMO, Woody Guthrie was the highlight of the show.

Having a good time with Group W

Of course we got to hear Alice's Restaurant, and A Train They call the City of New Orleans. They also performed several other songs that were familiar. Unfortunately I have not been a huge fan, but it looks like I need to revisit his music.

We've been throwing horseshoes on the flowers

Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion supplied songs for the current generation. Their music is a mixed blues, country, and folk. Several songs revealed a inspiration found in having a family. One that has really stuck with me is Mornin's Over. It can be found on their myspace page http://www.myspace.com/sarahleeandjohnny

Over all I really enjoyed the show. Anyone that didn't make it missed out.