“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into”

Jonathan Swift
___________________________________________________
"The Democrats have moved to the right, and the right has moved into a mental hospital." - Bill Maher
___________________________________________________
"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I gotta get up and go

It's a cruel ... cruel summer"

Saturday, March 01, 2008

What she said...

Rachel Hill opines in today's Globe-Republican:

So, I was watching the start of the NASCAR race and they were signing the national anthem.

They panned the camera down the rows of almost every driver. Almost every driver I saw didn't have his hand over his heart while the song was played.

When a presidential candidate (Barack Obama) doesn't do it, he gets criticized by those who say he doesn't support America.

(Drivers) are people too, and they aren't being criticized for not doing it.
My wife and I took the kids to the Pro Bull Riding Competition that rolled through town a few weeks ago. They had some local yokel sing the National Anthem and I'd say less than half of the people there covered their hearts. A good number were up milling around getting beers and nachos (During the invocation, as well. Sacrilege!). The crowd was 99% starched-in-the-jeans shit kicker, lest anyone think it was Grunge Nite at the rodeo or something.

The whole "Obama won't say the pledge" thing is such bullshit, and I've heard it from far too many people who should really know better.